Friday, July 16, 2010

Confused Child

Prachi and I were at my mom’s place on vacation when she was just 1 year old. One morning a couple of days or more since we had been in Puttur, she wakes up and calls out loud “Amma…” I run to her,cuddle her,cajole her to wake up and do all the goodie goodie talk when she asks in an inquiring tone, “Amma?” I say “what Amma? I am here only”. Again she asks, “Amma?” as though she is looking for Amma. I say “Arrey Chinnu…Amma is here only…look here at me. Your Amma is here” .Unconvinced she continues “Amma?” I point at me and say, “Look gundappa…who is this? This is Amma, Prachi’s Amma.” She asks again “Amma?” Now I know something is amiss…I think for a while and the whole jig saw puzzle is solved. I call my mom “Amma”. I generally use this ‘Amma’ in almost every sentence I speak to my mom. Prachi who was with us would have picked this up and started wondering “Why is this other lady called ‘Amma’? Why does Amma call her Amma while I call her Mamama?” The little kid might have gotten into the confusion whether she was Amma or Mamama. On waking up she had wanted to see my mom and was inquiring for “Amma” with a confused look in her face. Wonderful is my kid!!
Note: I am always referred as ‘Amma’ and HK as 'Aaanu' once Prachi has started talking. When I want to say HK to get something I generally say, “Anna, please get me xxxx”

No comments: