Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Chocolate Pudding

Yesterday I ate chocolate pudding. So whatz the big deal about it? I’ll tell you
I have been watching this ad in TV for quite a few days. Its an ad where there is a piece of chocolate cake kept on a beautifully decorated table. The cake piece is hot, all brown and juicy. Melted chocolate is poured over it which makes it still more appealing. Then comes a lady and stylishly picks up the cake and takes a bite of it with an intricately designed spoon. Next scene I am sure you can imagine, she expresses in her face and eyes all delight of eating the most delicious thing in the world.
No wonder after watching all that I was tempted to eat it. After all when you are in UK you should taste all these chocolate delicacies which you rarely find in India . Even if you find them in India , you would hesitate looking at the price tag. I remember a small piece of chocolate brownie cake of Café coffee day which costed about Rs 40-50 a piece. It tasted nothing when compared to the cakes and chocolates we get here. Nothing surprising, after all chocolates are the only sweets these people know. (In India we get variety of sweets each with a different taste, smell and a colour which people over here have hardly heard of. For ex, we have rasgulla, made of milk; gulabjamun made of milk; dood peda made of milk; dharwad peda made of milk; kheer made of milk and each of these taste very different although made of the same ingredient ‘milk’). Anyways abck to the chocolate pudding, I said my Mr “I want to eat that chocolate pudding”. He gave me a shocked look. Last year I had bought a Christmas pudding full of raisins. It was so sweet, so sweet, and so sweet that I could hardly eat it and finally had to throw it to the bin. So, with this amazing desire to eat the chocolate pudding I went for shopping on weekend. I found a small box of chocolate pudding which served a single person. I happily got it home.
I thought “Let me eat it tonight as a dessert after my dinner.” But that night we had our dinner late and it was already late for bed. I wanted to eat the delicious chocolaty thing with class, slowly relishing every bite of it, tantalising all my taste buds. So I decided to eat it the next night.
I prepared gobi palak for dinner the next night. The dish came out very well. I thought “Great dinners always end in a great dessert”. So planning to eat the pudding that night, I started my dinner. Only that by the end of the dinner I was so full that I couldn’t eat the pudding no matter how delicious it could be. So, again I decided “Let me eat it tomorrow. After all it should be eaten with class in style”
The next day, I cooked a very simple dinner and made sure I had appetite plus mood to eat the pudding. I had my dinner…”Mmm…there is still space…I am not full yet…Good”, I thought. I cleaned up the kitchen, did the dishes and sat with my Mr to watch the TV. ‘Friends’ was happening in the TV; but I couldn’t watch it, my mind kept going back and back to the pudding kept in the fridge. Finally I announced, “I am eating it.”
I carefully read all the instructions in it to heat it up. After all this wait I didn’t want it to be burnt or charred. I heated the thing in the oven. I could smell something….something sweet getting burnt? I immediately took it out… No, it was still hard. Kept it back again…again some burnt smell. “No, wait Chaitra”, I said. Another second and I thought enough of waiting. I took it out. I poured it from the plastic container into a plate.
There it was, the pudding exactly as I wanted it, soft, brown, full of chocolate with melted chocolate sauce over it. There were also some titbits covered by sauce, which I thought could be the nuts. I took it back to the sofa and asked my Mr., “Do you want some?” He made a face. (As usual, I force him to eat things which I like and finally he too starts liking them). I gave him some. He said he wanted no more. “Good”, I thought “Let me have it all”. So I took my first bite, slowly just like the stylish lady in TV. It was yummy…Just as I expected; I took the second bite; the sauce is a little too sweet for me. Never the less tasty. Third bite, the sauce is really sweet for me. I wish it was less sweet; Fourth bite, I wonder how people eat such sweet stuff; Fifth bite, Oh these titbits are bits of chocolate; Next bite, I wish they were nuts; Other bite, These people are fools. Why do they put bits of chocolate in a pudding entirely made of chocolate? Nuts would have made them much better. Next bite, “Darling, will you have some? It is really yummy”; One more bite, “Honey, Can you help me with this?” One next bite, “Hey please eat this. I can’t have any more”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

liked the way u described the ad of choc pudding..Keep writing!!!

Anonymous said...

nice one akka.btw did bhavaji eat it?!!!:)