Thursday, November 22, 2007

Whatz in a name? Bahut kuch

Aah! I am sure you would have given a thought at the URL of my blog. 'Kamath', yes that is my surname now. Not that I am quite used to it, but I thought of using it. 'What is in a name?' asked somebody, but I say there is a lot in a name. If someone comes and asks who you are, your immediate response would be “I am xxx" followed by other details. You wouldn't be telling "I am a software professional aged so and so working for so and so and then my name is so and so", would you?
Name has always been an interesting subject matter to me. I always like to remember beautiful names. When I say beautiful names, they are names which are not common and which carry a good meaning. I absolutely dislike the 2-syllabled Rita, Sony, Tina which are meaningless. They sound like alpha beta gamma. Neither do I like names which are so common that every next person has the same name. One lane will have at least a dozen kids with the same name and you would have to identify them by their surnames and eventually only the surname will be used; the whole purpose of name is lost.
My generally liking is towards names which are unique and carry a good meaning in Sanskrit or any of the Indian languages or belong to any mythological/ historical character. One of my lecturers in college had named her son as Amoghavarsha (Amoghavarsha Nruptungadeva was a great emperor of India). I absolutely love that name. The other name I like the most is Anagha (Its named after the Hindu goddess which means sinless; an+agha (sin)).
The latest craze among parents is to name their kids as uniquely as possible. I find this craze quite interesting; this trend leads to new inventions/ experiments in names not to mention disasters as well. About 4to 5 generations back parents rarely bothered about the names of their kids. Not much thought was given to the names. This led to great amusements to name a few -Young girls were named 'Kumari'(which is equivalent to Miss in English), who later in their lives after marriage would be called as Srimathi Kumari, translating to English would be Mrs Miss. Young girls were also named Shrimathi and would be called Kumari Shrimathi. I find this quite amusing.
In some parts of Karnataka, it is common to name people after vegetables like Mensinakai (chilly).Some other weird names are huchhappa (mad man), mudukappa (old man). West is not far away in having strange naming cultures. The current president of USA George Bush is the son of George Bush.
So there goes the story of names. Name be whatever ultimately what matters is the person, his character right? So, you call me Chaitra Pai or Chaitra Kamath I will respond. After all whatever you call me, I still remain the same me, myself Chaitra :-)

2 comments:

sathya1981 said...

Good one "Chaitra". Smooth like honey...more to come...

Unknown said...

Good ... :) Keep it up ... and inspire others ... :)